Vendors are required to submit copies of all required licenses and certifications and have them available for inspection during market hours.  While we are happy to provide guidance and assistance, you are responsible for remaining informed about and complying with all state and local health requirements.  If you aren’t sure what licensing you are required to have, this flow chart  is a good place to start. You may find comprehensive information at Multnomah County Environmental Health and the Oregon Department of Agriculture. The licenses below are the most commonly required by market vendors.

Farm Direct Nutrition Program

Vendors who sell fresh, locally grown fruit, vegetables, or herbs that are not processed or prepared are eligible to accept $4 checks from customers through Oregon’s Farm Direct Nutrition Program. The FDNP focuses on encouraging seniors and WIC families to purchase locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables. To accept these checks, you must apply for the program by calling the Oregon Department of Agriculture at (503) 872-6600.  We can provide you with the training that is required. You can find more information about this program at:

Food Handlers Card

Required for anyone handling food at your booth.  We do not need a copy of this, but you will need to keep it with you.  The manual and test are available online or you can take it in person at the Food Handler's Test Office.  Call 503.988.5257 for more info.

Scale Certification

If you will be using a scale at your booth, it will need to be licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture.  You can learn more about farmers market measurement standards in Oregon here.

Alcoholic Beverages

While we do not have a license for on-site consumption of alcohol at our market at this time, you can sell alcoholic beverages for off-site consumption and offer tastings with an OLCC off premises license.  

Temporary Restaurant License

The Multnomah Co. Health Department requires all food service facilities operating temporarily in connection with any event where food is prepared or served for consumption to the public to obtain a license and be inspected.  Most prepared food vendors at the Cully Farmers Market will need to apply for an ongoing event license.  Learn more about the application, fees, and requirements here.

Exemptions:  Cookies, confections, cotton candy, popcorn, nuts, or candied apples, Commercially packaged ice cream, frozen desserts, potato chips, pretzels, and crackers, Commercially processed pickles and jerky, Coffee (not espresso) and tea with non-potentially hazardous ingredients, and canned or bottled pop, alcoholic beverages or other non-perishable beverages served in their original container (not with ice), A food product promotion where only a sample (two to three ounce portion) of a food or beverage is offered to demonstrate the characteristics of the food product. 

Home Kitchen or Bakery Licenses

Anyone who would like to sell food or baked goods made in a home kitchen must meet special requirements and must obtain a domestic kitchen license or bakery license from the Oregon Department of Agriculture.  Residential kitchens may be exempt from licensing if producing baked goods or confectionery items that are not potentially hazardous and that are sold only to the end user.  Sales must not exceed $20,000 annually. Information about requirements and applications can be found here.

Food Processors License

If you have less than $20,000 in annual sales of certain producer-processed products, you are exempt from licensing, however, your products must be labeled correctly. Exempt products include: fruit based syrups and fruit in syrup, jams, jellies and preserves, acidified fruits and vegetables, including pickles, chutneys and sauces, and lacto-fermented fruits and vegetables. Click here for more details.  If you do need to obtain a license, application information is available here.  

Bakery License

Non-potentially hazardous baked goods obtained from a licensed food service or processing establishment, or baked goods prepared onsite for immediate consumption are typically exempt.  Please visit this site for more information about bakery licensing.

Agricultural Products

Direct retail sales of the following agricultural products are exempt from licensing: fresh, cured or dried fruits, vegetables, edible flowers and herbs, shelled and unshelled nuts, whole eggs, honey, whole, hulled, crushed or ground grain, legumes and seeds that are customarily cooked prior to eating, parched or roasted grains that are customarily cooked prior to eating, popcorn, nuts, peppers and corn that are roasted at the place of purchase. 

Plant Nursery License

A license is required by anyone operating as a grower or dealer of nursery stock in Oregon unless sales do not exceed $250 per fiscal year.  Learn more here.

Egg Licensing

If you will be selling eggs at your booth, please check to make sure that you don’t need a license. A license is usually not required if you are selling and delivering your own eggs direct to consumers, but labeling is required. More info about egg handling requirements can be found here.

Additional Licenses

License information for other products, including meat, shellfish, dairy, non-alcoholic beverages, pet food, and more can be found on the Oregon Department of Agriculture site.

Certificate of Product Liability Insurance

All vendors selling processed food, prepared food, or any food defined as potentially hazardous by the State of Oregon are required to hold updated liability insurance and must submit a copy to us prior to the start of the market.  While not required, other vendors are strongly encouraged to carry liability insurance.  Cully Farmers Market is not responsible for any loss or damage incurred by vendors. 

Business Registration



Organic Certification

Oregon Tilth

National Organic Program